Published: Thursday 24th May 2012
Ringmore and Shaldon have origins as a permanent settlement for over five hundred years and Teignmouth across the estuary for a thousand years. There is evidence based on church relics that a church existed in Saxon or early Norman times. Shaldon was first mentioned in the reign of James 1st in the early 1600’s when it was mentioned in the Chancery proceedings.
It would appear that Shaldon (then in the Manor of Ringmore) were party of a Saxon Estate owned by a Saxon Thane called Britric Meau and after the Norman Conquest by the Sheriff of Devon, a certain Mr Baldwin!
Ownership or control seems to have been passed from family to family over several generations with Stephen, The Lord of Haccombe and then the Carews of Haccombe, until I 1671 it was sold to Lord Clifford of Chudleigh. In 1741 this family created a map of the Shaldon area including fields and houses.
As years passed the country became more formally divided between Shires, Hundreds and Parishes. The following is summarized and extracted from “White’s Devonshire Directory” in 1850.
Ringmore was part of the “Wonford Hundred” (a subset of the shires), but a hamlet of the Manor of Combeinteignhead and this area had 425 people living there (souls) and over 2000 acres of land. Also within this catchment area were of Netherton, Haccombe and Rocombe hamlets. Part of Ringmore was, at this time also part of “St. Nicolas Parish” which also included its better known neighbour, Shaldon, but Ringmore also had acreage in the Parish of Stokeinteignhead.
This Manor was owned or held by the Earls of Bath (the Bourchiers) but was sold in the 1820’s to a number of purchasers and split into Estates. This resulted in a more diverse arrangement of community activities and a restructuring of the areas as the years progressed.
Access to Ringmore is primarily from three directions, from Torquay along the coast road, from Combeinteignhead (Newton Abbot Direction) and Teignmouth across the Teignmouth and Shaldon Bridge, which is where all roads end up! The bridge was constructed in 1827 of wood and iron and had a swing bridge and was one of the longest bridges in the country (1,671ft). The wood was however replaced shortly after in 1838-40 and again replaced by steel and concrete in 1930-31 and is now Grade 11 listed. The bridge had an antiaircraft gun positioned on it in WW11.
Ringmore now, as many hundreds of years ago has a limited number of properties, some with river frontage and is a 3-5 minute walk into Shaldon village. Some say Ringmore was a better location and first populated to avoid being seen from the mouth of the estuary and spotted by marauding pirates!
There is a well hidden holiday village further toward Newton Abbot with river frontage, called Devon Valley and is popular with people who love chalet and fixed caravan parks.
The nearest pub is the Clifford Arms just inside Shaldon and close to the Post Office. In the opposite direction is Combe Cellars a large riverside pub, just outside Combeinteignhead or head further south inland to Stokeinteignhead at The Church House Inn.
The Ringmore area has some great walks, places to sit and relax an estuary location, it has good winter and summer fishing and Teignmouth & Shaldon are only minutes away. The bigger towns and tourism centers of Torbay are only 15 minutes by car and 10 minutes by train from Teignmouth and Dartmoor 25 minutes. Ringmore is a great location to stay and explore!